Saturday, March 14, 2009

Baking the day away

Banana bran mini muffins down, wheat bread rising, all kitchen cabinets cleaned out and grandma's dishes finally have a temporary home that is not on my window seat. It's been a good first day off. :) I still have school work to do but I will get there.

I am thinking it might be time to take a break from baking and get cooking something or else I am going to go into a carb overload. But....I must say, the first attempt at the bread with the new mixer came out great. I of course did wheat instead of white and modified the recipe to use honey instead of sugar. I should have let it rise a little more but I got impatient. Next time I will try and make it a little less dense. Even with it being a little flat it still tastes great, especially with a little honey on top.





Whole Wheat Honey Bread
(modified from KitchenAid)

1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons honey
3 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons salt
2 packages of yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water
4 1/2 cups wheat flour
1/2 - 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour

Heat milk, honey, butter, and salt till butter melts. Remove from heat to reduce temperature to luke warm.

Dissolve yeast in warm water. You can do this in the bowl you plan to mix the dough in, just make sure that the bowl is not cold.

Add wheat flour, milk mixture and yeast in bowl and mix well. Add all purpose flour a 1/2 cup at a time till it forms a ball and doesn't stick to the side of the bowl. Knead till dough is smooth and elastic.

Allow to rise to double it's size, split into two balls, form into loafs and put in greased loaf pans. Allow to rise to double again. Once done, cook at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes.


I cut out a lot of the steps in here because the original recipe is made for use with a dough hook. I tried to cut out that part and just show the steps as generic as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment