Sunday, November 22, 2009

Sunday Afternoon Chili

Let me start with saying I did use a chili starter for this. It was just easier and saved me a little time. That said, I did modify so much that it was just one ingredient.

1 jar of Tabasco Original chili starter
9-8 slices of thick cut bacon, chopped
1 white onion
about 4 ounces of pork sausage (I added it because I had it on hand and didn't want to waste it)
2 tablespoons of minced garlic
2 pounds chili meat or any good red meat
1 bottle of Shiner Smokehaus beer. (the Smokehaus) was the key.
chili powder to taste
black pepper to taste
cumin to taste
hot paprika to taste
1 can Rotel (or any tomatoes with green chilis)
about 8 slices of jalapenos (I just used a few fork fulls of the nacho sliced ones)
1 or 2 cans of beans, drained, if desired (I like beans in it and all I had on hand was a 3 bean salad can with garbanzos, pintos, and navy but I used it anyway)

Yes it looks spicy. Yes, it has a little kick, but like all things, just taste till it hits your tastebuds and omit anything you think won't float your boat. I don't recommend taking out the Rotel though. It adds a little needed liquid.

1. In a dutch oven (I used my favorite blue cast iron enamel pot), add the bacon and cook at a medium low heat. The goal is to cook it while extracting enough fat to cook the onions in step 2.

2. After the bacon is cooked to your liking (I don't cook till crunchy, just browned) add in the onions and cook till translucent. Add in garlic and cook about 1-2 minutes

3. Add in chili meat and sausage. Brown.
4. Add chili starter. Take some of the beer and pour it into chili starter jar to get the remaining starter out. Pour into pot. Pour the rest of the beer into the pot.
5. Add in spices, Rotel, jalapenos, beans, and anything else that tickles your fancy.
6. Let it cook for a little or a lot. Eat when you are ready.

Pretty simple if I do say so added with some homemade skillet cornbread.. This pictures didn't come out too good but I promise the meal was perfect!!

No comments:

Post a Comment