Sunday, January 24, 2010

Left over Quiche

I made this quiche using up the leftover cooked veggies that were in the fridge. I also added up a little of the sausage that I was about to cut up and freeze.  It was a great meal that I honestly wasn't expecting it to be.  Add with a salad and I had a great dinner that is going to give me dinner and lunch for a few more days.

Kitchen Sink Quiche

Short cut - pre-made 9" deep dish pie crust, blinded baked

Basic starter filling:3 eggs
1 cup fat free evaporated milk
1 cut fat free milk
1/3 cup cheese (I used a block of pepper jack that needed to be used up)
nutmeg to taste
salt to taste
pepper to taste

Ideas to add:
I added fresh sauteed spinach, left over potatoes and carrots from my pot roast, sauteed onions, minced garlic, crumbled breakfast sausage.

Blind baked the pie crust.

1.  In a cast iron skillet, brown the sausage and crumble. Remove from pan and set aside.
2.  Add a small amount of olive oil to skillet and saute the onions and garlic till almost translucent.
3.  Add the potatoes and carrots to skillet and brown till heated through.
4.  In a medium bowl, mix eggs, evaporated milk, milk.  Add seasonings.  Shred cheese into wet mixture.
5. Once potatoes and carrots are heated through, remove them from skillet.  
6.  Add a little more olive oil to skillet if needed.  Add approximately 2 handfuls of fresh spinach to the skillet. Cook spinach till wilted.
7.  Add spinach to the bottom of the pie crust. Put the potatoes, carrots, and sausage on top.  Pour the wet mixture on top. (DO NOT OVER FILL) I put a cookie sheet underneath to catch the overflow.  I also used my small ramekins to cook the extra wet mixture.
8.  Cook quiche on 325 degrees till done.

This ended up being really good.  I am using the little ramekins servings as lunch this week with a salad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment