Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Why I Do What I Do

Tuesday nights are always good nights for me.  The routine has become leave work, get home and change and head to the gym.  I work my butt off for 45 minutes, come home, make dinner, and then sit down to watch the Biggest Loser.  It's a motivation to keep doing what I'm doing.  

A lot of my friends and people who know me ask why I spend my time in the gym and do what I do.  Why do I deny myself?  First, it isn't denying yourself, it is giving yourself something.  Yes, it is a lifestyle change but it is the best one I can think of.  At some point in the journey it stops being work and a chore and starts being a reward and enjoyable.  You start learning to avoid the bad pain and enjoying the good pain.  I am amazed every day at how much more I can do day to day.  The push to do better keeps me going.  It isn't about a number now (whether it be weight or clothing size), it's about the feeling.

I will be the first to admit that I don't go out as much as I used to.  I don't drink much anymore and I don't go out to eat much at all.  However, it does make those time I go out so much better.  It is really a treat now and not an expectation.  It has also helped me make better choices when I go out.  

I don't look at it like giving up anything.  When I want some of my favorite foods, I am experimenting how to make them healthier. It's actually fun!  It is all a game to me and I am learning how to play the game the best I can.  

It is making me really look at how I have been living my life and it makes me want to be a better person in other areas.  It makes me want to be better, to be good, to do something that makes a difference. 

The one thing that hurts me is when those around me try to sabotage it.  They act like I am doing something illegal or have lost my mind.  The distain in their voices gets me.  You would thinkI had the plague. They try and push food I don't eat on me.  Real story, even someone at the office who is getting in shape came in and set cookies on my desk and said they were for me so they could get them out of the house!

I just keep on keeping on and I know I will the winner!

No comments:

Post a Comment