Monday, May 30, 2011

The Alternative

I'm watching the new Extreme Makeover show and a comment this girl said made me think.  I believe her comment was "if I didn't get this chance I would have had the lap band surgery" or something to that effect.

I want to preface this with this...these are my own opinions.  I am do not know your situation.  It is just how I feel take it or leave it.

I am opposed to weight loss surgery.  While I have not been struggling with my weight for my whole life, I have been dealing with it for 10+ years.  I knew what eating healthy and working out were.  I was lazy.  Add on to that and I was dealing with some major emotional issues. This is not the place to start that conversation but let's say it took 4 years of therapy to get my brain to where it was.  I consider the decision to finally get my weight back under control a phase of therapy so to speak.  I had to get my brain where it is before I decided to do something.

When I started my journey to weight loss, I had someone ask me why I just didn't get "that surgery" and be done with it.  WHAT!!  To me, that is not an option.  I didn't put this weight on over night and it is only natural for it not to come off over night. I sweat my butt off every day, I work on my diet, I learned what works for me and what doesn't in terms of exercise and nutrition.  I have learned how to not let my emotions inhibit my efforts.  I know I have to learn a new lifestyle.  I have to change.  A surgery won't do it for me.

While I am sure there are those who it works for, the people I know who have had it have used it as the easy way.  I know them well enough to know there are learned bad habits at play and life issues at hand that have not been handled.  I spent a week with two of them.  The topic of conversation was their complication and life after the surgery...all while using their precious little food they are allowed on junk food and wine.  How is that helping!  What are you learning? These two, don't exercise and have done nothing to change other than go under the knife.  Why would you think this would be a long term solution if you aren't learning to live healthy?

All I can say is if surgery is your option, use it and learn and lose the weight and change your habits and life.  User is at a tool to change your life, don't use it as THE life change.

Just my thoughts....but comments are getting turned off.  I don't need a debate on my opinion.  It isn't changing.